Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Kim Keever's imaginary landscapes

I came across this work by Kim Keever a couple of years ago (thanks for the reminder wood s lot).

While there is the possibility that the work could get somewhat repetitive after while, I still think they are fascinating. And Keever obviously delights in what he's doing, which I think is a good part of it.

I love the whole messy way they are made up and put together with a massive tank in his apartment (I gather his downstairs neighbours aren't too happy that tank has burst a couple of times though... but hey - that's the cost of art!)

"Kim Keever's mysterious and painterly large-scale photographs represent a continuation of the landscape tradition, as well as an evolution of the genre. Referencing the Romanticism of the Hudson River School and 19th-century photography of the American West, they are imbued with a sense of the sublime; however, they also show a subversive side that deliberately acknowledges their contemporary contrivance and conceptual artifice. These images reflect none of the concerns with authenticity for which photography has historically been used; yet, they retain the inherent efficacy and rigor of their medium..."

"It's so much fun to see the paint clouds move through the water and it all starts to look so real, I feel like I'm watching a movie or I've been transported to this lilliputian world of my own creation. I guess I'm an escapist at heart."

other links and more images here and here

No comments: