Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Kim Keever's imaginary landscapes


I came across this work by Kim Keever a couple of years ago (thanks for the reminder wood s lot).

While there is the possibility that the work could get somewhat repetitive after while, I still think they are fascinating. And Keever obviously delights in what he's doing, which I think is a good part of it.

I love the whole messy way they are made up and put together with a massive tank in his apartment (I gather his downstairs neighbours aren't too happy that tank has burst a couple of times though... but hey - that's the cost of art!)


"Kim Keever's mysterious and painterly large-scale photographs represent a continuation of the landscape tradition, as well as an evolution of the genre. Referencing the Romanticism of the Hudson River School and 19th-century photography of the American West, they are imbued with a sense of the sublime; however, they also show a subversive side that deliberately acknowledges their contemporary contrivance and conceptual artifice. These images reflect none of the concerns with authenticity for which photography has historically been used; yet, they retain the inherent efficacy and rigor of their medium..."

~~
"It's so much fun to see the paint clouds move through the water and it all starts to look so real, I feel like I'm watching a movie or I've been transported to this lilliputian world of my own creation. I guess I'm an escapist at heart."


other links and more images here and here

No comments: