Tuesday, February 27, 2007

New Gursky work


Guðmundur pointed me to some apparently new work by Andreas Gursky. Unfortunately my German is so bad and rusty I can't make out much of the accompanying text... can anyone come up with a better translation of the title than Google's: “reality is to be at all only represented, by designing it.” hmmm. Update: Joerg gives us a translation of "You can only show reality by constructing it." or maybe "you can only represent reality by constructing it"

The gist of what I can get is that Gursky is following along his route of constructing fabricated pictures around his existing theme of globalisation. Though to me with these he seems to be much more consciously designing "patterns" into his work than a lot of his previous work - building on what he did with the big hotel lobby interior etc?

And I must admit to having a bit of sympathy with this googleism: the pictures of the photographer Andreas renowned internationally gursky fascinate and irritate at the same time.

1 comment:

Joerg said...

There's a huge retrospective of his work at Munich's Haus der Kunst - a very cool art museum, housed in one of the remaining Nazi buildings in the city (intentionally kept). I haven't seen the show, but it's one of Munich's finest (if not the finest) museums.

The caption (quote) translates as "You can only show reality by constructing it." or maybe "you can only represent reality by constructing it" (I'm no professional translater - but a native German speaker)