Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mohammadreza Mirzaei


The other day I got an email from a young Iranian photographer Mohammadreza Mirzaei for some help with a magazine article he is putting together. However, in his email he had a link to his own work.

I must say that I rather like some of it. While his Humans project isn't quite my thing, it does have a certain appeal.


I did however really like the Wall (make sure you click for bigger pictures - the little squares don't do them justice). There is a long photographic tradition of the frame being broken by a strong vertical - a tree or a post or such - going back at least to Atget and probably before that.


I should add - kudos for his website - I like the graphic, simple, yet slightly quirky design. Would that more photographers websites were like this

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim,

I discovered Mirzaei via an email from him too. I think his work is quite good. Just goes to show how much talent there is out in the various corners of the globe.

http://politicstheoryphotography.
blogspot.com/search?q=mirzaei

tim atherton said...

Ha - I think that was just before I started reading your blog.

And any culture and society that can produce Abbas Kiarostami must have something going for it...

Anonymous said...

hey Tim ! I know Mohammadreza Mirzaei too !
I found him by a Note on éclectique on one of his photos ( on your favorite series ! ) : http://eclectique.org/2007/01/24/wall-by-mohammadreza-mirzaei
I like his photo series very much , especially Humans . The note of Michael Kenna is also readable . isn't it ?!!

Anonymous said...

Humans make me feel exactly same as abbas kiarostami’s movies . a superb minimal stuff !

just remind this kiarostami's quote :

"My films have been progressing towards a certain kind of minimalism, even though it was never intended. Elements which can be eliminated have been eliminated. This was pointed out to me by somebody who referred to the paintings of Rembrandt and his use of light: some elements are highlighted while others are obscured or even pushed back into the dark. And it's something that we do - we bring out elements that we want to emphasize. I'm not claiming or denying that I have done such a thing but I do believe in [Robert] Bresson's method of creation through omission, not through addition."