Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Terrazo: Views of Mexico City by Pablo Lopez


I came across this work by Mexican photographer Pablo Lopez via The Exposure Project.




Lopez's body of work Terrazo: Views of Mexico is currently on view at the Sasha Wolf Gallery:
"At first glance, many of Pablo Lopez's 40x40" photographs of Mexico City and its surroundings are near abstractions of color and form. The images are an attempt to examine the city's historic landscape as well as reinterpret the relationship that people have to the ever-expanding urban environment. the interplay between man and his surroundings, both natural and developed, serves as a foundation here in all of Lopez's current work. By maintaining a distance the photographs of the Terrazo series afford each viewer the chance to see this scene with minimal political context and to discard many preconceived notions concerning this expansive metropolis."

I really like this work.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It appears that for some reason, the same person emailed a bunch of photo blogs and told them how much she liked this work.

I presume you received the same email? Looks like Joerg did too. Hmm. Interesting...

tim atherton said...

Actually, I saw it up on The Exposure Project, but I do regularly get emails from galleries and reps and individual photographers promoting their work - as does Joerg, and I'm sure many many other bloggers.

It's how people promote their work. If I like it I blog about it, if I don't, I don't. And if it's really really bad I may also blog about it...

tim atherton said...

PS I also get emails from regular readers of the blog (who also often read several other blogs) who point out interesting work to me

Glenn Twiggs said...

This is wonderful work. If you hadn't pointed it out I'm sure I would have missed it. There is a lot to keep up with on these internets.