Monday, January 01, 2007

Michael Schmidt



I guess the blog is paying off already. Gudmundur pointed me to another (Berlin) photographer I had not heard of - Michael Schmidt.

I'm going to have to do a bit more tracking down and looking at some of his photographs, but beyond the first impact of the images, his work appeals to me for two reasons - he is an ex-policeman and his work deals with Berlin over the last 40 years. In addition, the stars of the Dusseldorf school have burned so bright, it is sometimes a bit hard to catch sight of those who preceded and informed them.

There is also a short bio here (you'll have to scroll down)


2 comments:

badaud said...

Michael Schmidt has a new book published by Steidl.

http://www.steidlville.com/books/211-Berlin-nach-45.html

Berlin. Nice and gray.

Anonymous said...

Schmidt is one of the most fascinating photographers I know.
At least two absolute masterpieces among his books...
SL