Sunday, May 13, 2007

China Watch update

(FENG Bin)

I recently mentioned some of the photographers emerging out of China and being noticed in the West. As a result of FotoFest Beijing, Chinese photographers seem to be on everyone's radar - and rightly so imo - I find all this "new" (to most of us anyway) photography pretty exciting.


(SHUM Dustin)

Joerg (who has been tracking Chinese photographers for some time now) has a good selection of links.




(Birdhead)

Photoeye/Photoeye Galleries is involved with the website linked above "new Internet platform for contemporary Chinese photography"


(LUO Dan)

There's definitely some good stuff in all this


(LI yu)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me first say that I'm a big fan of many of the films coming out of China in recent years. "The Road Home" is the best of the best in my book. Then there's the "Crouching Tiger/Flying Daggers" fantasies as well. Good stuff all around.

So, when I checked out the recent FotoFest Beijing my expectations ran high to say the least. There isn't a word in the English language to express my reaction to what I saw there so I'll borrow one from the dog world – ARF!!!

Helmet Newton put it so articulately with his comments on photography NOT being art that the only redeeming value I see in any of this stuff is that it ultimately proves him correct.